Georgia does not have legalized recreational marijuana and a very limited medical marijuana program. Georgia history is interesting. During the late 70’s and early 80’s, a number of county sheriffs and deputies were prosecuted for smuggling cannabis into the state.
Up to 2020, cannabis is still illegal state wide. However, it is decriminalized in the cities of Atlanta and Savannah, plus a few others. The city councils recommended fines instead of imprisonment. $75 dollars for Atlanta and $150 dollars for Savannah for example.
Medical Marijuana in Georgia
The state does have a very limited medical marijuana program. The program is specifically tied to CBD and THC levels under 5%. The CBD oil is to treat a variety of serious conditions and be expanded to treat more.
How to make CBD oil in Georgia
The most popular way to extract CBD oil is the ‘oil method’. You will need certain high quality carrier oils like coconut or olive oil and these are free of any unwanted residues. This method is completely safe and fairly straightforward.
Step by Step Oil Method
First of all, understand that the quality of the Marijuana plant you put in will dictate the strength of the final product. We recommend 3 of our finest CBD seeds to use.
- First of all, the cannabis buds has to go through a process called decarboxylation. This involves putting the buds on a baking tray surrounded by tin foil with a few holes through it to let out the air. Place it in the oven and set the temperature at 220°F for 90 minutes. This process heats the plant to temperature which will activate the plants’ chemicals.
- Next, you will need a mason jar to mix the cannabis with the carrier oil (coconut oil or olive oil). The quantity of the oil you use will have an affect on the potency of the final product. Let the weed and oil soak together in the jar.
- Screw the lid on tight on the jar as we dont want any steam or water to enter the jar in the next few steps.
- Grab a small pan or pot. This will be used to hold the mason jar with water. Place a small towel on the bottom of the pan and place the mason jar on it.
- Turn on the stove and heat the pan until it reaches a temperature of at least 200 degrees. Use a thermometer to keep an eye on the temperature.
- Let it simmer for 3 hours while checking to make sure the water doesn’t evaporate.
- After simmering for 3 hours, turn off the stove and let it sit for a further 3 hours.
- It’s advisable to heat the mixture for a further 3 hours, turn off the stove and leave overnight.
- Next morning, use a strainer or cloth to squeeze all of the oil into a separate container. The oil is now ready to use. Congratulations!